Working with hundreds of SaaS business owners since 2010 has furnished us with a front row seat to some of the most creative ways founders achieve success. Facilitating the sharing of ideas is a passion of ours, so this year we have invited some of the most inventive minds in the SaaS industry to contribute to our roundup of the best tips for growing a SaaS business.
Hearing actionable advice from experienced professionals is particularly helpful for those running their own SaaS businesses. There are many ways to get advice directly, including reading the ideas of industry experts as well as attending events like LTV Conf, the premiere SaaS event in the industry, where thought leaders gather to share what they have learned from trial, error, and success. LTV Conf will gather the best in the business on May 10-11 in London. Before the speakers take the stage, however, we tapped into the collective wisdom of the large group of successful entrepreneurs that we at FE International have crossed paths with to share 23 SaaS leaders’ secrets to success.
We wanted to know:
“What is the one thing that brought your SaaS Business the most success?”
While the content of responses were diverse, there were a number of approaches that seemed to be extremely popular amongst respondents, a clear indication of trends currently shaping the industry.
The three most popular strategies for achieving success, as per our experts, are summarized below.
Customer value was the most popular answer, with ten of the 23 respondents indicating that a focus on aligning product with customer needs was what brought them best results.
Content marketing remains one of the most cost-effective ways to generate inbound traffic. And doing so as early as possible is key, since significant impact on sales typically only occurs once a piece of content has been live for long enough to gain a presence. Researching ideal topics and keywords was also identified as vital for success.
Investing in an exceptional, happy workforce was also a popular response. Several experts indicated that not only should a SaaS business focus on hiring the absolute best individuals for their roles, but also ensure that their employees are satisfied in their jobs.
Here are all 23 responses from our participating entrepreneurs. Be sure to vote for your favorite tip!
Please note that answers have been edited for clarity.
There you have it, some of the finest minds in SaaS sharing their secrets to success. Were you surprised at how much emphasis was placed on customer value? Did the reliance of many of the featured businesses on content marketing and SEO confirm or contradict your expectations? Do you agree that happy team members are fundamental to the success of a SaaS business?
- Norman Siddiq - Cloudlead 44%, 26 votes26 votes 44%26 votes - 44% of all votes
- Peter Irikovsky - Exponea 25%, 15 votes15 votes 25%15 votes - 25% of all votes
- Justin McGill - LeadFuze 8%, 5 votes5 votes 8%5 votes - 8% of all votes
- Gerry Giacoman Colyer - Siftery 7%, 4 votes4 votes 7%4 votes - 7% of all votes
- Alex Fishman - Bugsee 5%, 3 votes3 votes 5%3 votes - 5% of all votes
- Daniel Araújo - Attentive 5%, 3 votes3 votes 5%3 votes - 5% of all votes
- Rami El Chamaa - Appointlet 2%, 1 vote1 vote 2%1 vote - 2% of all votes
- Blake Smith - Cladwell 2%, 1 vote1 vote 2%1 vote - 2% of all votes
- Craig Fitzpatrick - PageCloud 2%, 1 vote1 vote 2%1 vote - 2% of all votes
- Wyatt Jozwowski - Demio 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- Jeff Epstein - Ambassador 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- Pietari Suvanto - Vainu 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- Chad Brown - Orangedox 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- Sujan Patel - Sujanpatel.com 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- Pablo Fuentes - Proven 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- Omar Zenhom - WebinarNinja 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- Steli Efti - Close.io 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- Josh Haynam - Interact 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- Raviv Turner - CaliberMind 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- Laurence Girard - Fruitstreet 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- Henry Shuck - DiscoveryOrg 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- Ian Blair - BuildFire 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
- Oscar Nelson - Musqot 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes
We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments.
Update: Congratulations to our winners,